Monday, February 15, 2010

Gene Maiden Tribute

 
I can't think of a better way to wrap up this convention archive than with the loving tribute to Gene Maiden by Tom Tierney. They collaborated on the Fruitland Chronicles for Cornerstones Magazine (published by Deanna Williams).

Tom's artwork graced the cover of a convention souvenir booklet that included reminiscences from friends and acquaintances. I loved reading it, and getting a better sense of the man I was just getting to know better at conventions. What a gentleman he was. 

If I missed something from the convention that you'd like to see here, let me know. Ron Fong gave me an ID for one of the banquet pictures, so I'll amend that now. Also, if you have pictures from the convention that you'd like me to post here, send them to me as a jpeg file, and I'll add them as well.

2 comments:

Johnson, Doug said...

I was one of Gene Maiden's many friends. He was kind enough to allow me to stay with him in Thousand Oaks during my trips to LA. I treasure the drawings he colored and the greeting cards he sent, and I do miss him. He was so full of life. Even towards the last, when he was so ill, he made trips to the YMCA for the water therapy because it made him feel better for awhile. What an example of courage he was.

Linda said...

Thank you for posting your memories of Gene. How wonderful to know he had some relief in the water.